Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A wreath.....finally!

                                         Well, I finally finished the wreath for my front door. It really didn't take me long to make the wreath, only a few hours. Once I chose a paint color ( which happened today by the way, you know you can't rush genius ;) ) it wasn't long until I was actually finished. Now it hangs on my front door. I'm so happy it all went as planned and turned out pretty much like the picture in my head. I started out with coffee filters (I believe they are the 8-12 cup pot size) I got these at the dollar store along with a square piece of  Styrofoam. That's right a 3 buck investment. I will say I used about 1 and 1/2 packages to make my wreath. I also cut a piece of card board to cover the back of the Styrofoam.

                                          I used the pencil method to make mine. Put the coffee filter around the end of a pencil. Put some glue on and stick it!

                                                    I started with a row around the outside of my base. When that was finished I did rows across of four continuing all the way around until I was finished.


                                                   I knew I had to do something else with it because it looked a little like wedding decor. My hubby said it looked like a carnation. That's where the paint came in. I had to figure out what color I wanted before, because like I already said, there was no going back or repainting this one. So I chose brown leather spray paint. You will see where the pink comes in later.


                                                    I used a very light hand when spraying. I like the way it looks. I am happy with how it turned out.

a close up to show paint detail

                                         Remember I only used 1 1/2 packs of filters. I made a ball with some of the rest. I guess I didn't realize how big this was going to turn out. Bigger than I thought it would. This is where the pink paint came into play. I used the ball as a test for the paint. I went a bit heavier handed with the pink. I just started gluing the filters around the center of a Styrofoam ball I already had. Continuing in "layers" until one side was finished and then flipped it over and finished the other side. What do you think? Not sure where this is going to go yet, because of the size.

                                         I knew this would need some paint, too. Kind of a bit wedding-ly. Is that even a word? Oh well you know what I mean. Here it is after adding some paint.

                                                    The paint is a bit thicker on here. They both dried beautifully. Pretty easy. Not bad for about $3.00 for both. I really like the wreath. In all I worked on the wreath about 3-4 hours. It took so long to actually finish because of my fear of paint commitment. I am working on this, no really I AM. I hope you enjoyed today's post.Thanks for visiting! Come back soon! Have a sweet day!



  1. Wow, they both turned out great - the spray paint really worked out well.

    1. Thank you! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.