Monday, April 22, 2013

The faux frosted window

       

                                       Remember this?  I would hope so, it hasn't been that long. Well, I am here today to tell you how I made my "frosted" window. I'm not sure I should call it a frosted window since I made it in the spring.  But oh well, that's what I'm going to call it. I started with an old window. I have quite a few because I can't bear to leave them to get thrown away. I have to stop and rescue them. I cleaned it all up and  decided it was already a color I liked so I left it alone. I could have painted it, but wasn't sure what color ( I seem to have that problem a lot). I'm really glad I left that part as it was. It goes well with everything else. Here it is before:


                                   You can see it was pretty dirty. It has been sitting around just waiting to be used.  I couldn't decide how to treat the windows. I knew I didn't want to leave them clear. I knew I was going to add lights to the back and wanted a glowing effect when I was done. I decided to use clear vinyl decorative covering. I got my roll at the dollar store. My window panes were slightly larger than I expected, so I had to go get a second roll. Still, not bad for 2 bucks.


                                       Measure and cut the vinyl slightly larger than the panes, I trimmed mine off  after I applied it to the glass. You can see here how the clear vinyl makes the glass look frosted. Of course I forgot to take pictures while I was applying it. It was a bit tricky. Had I read the directions I would have known to dampen the surface with water and detergent. So I guess what I'm saying is to read directions. Maybe I could have done a better job keeping the bubbles away. Hind sight!
 
 
 
                                          Here is a closer shot of the finished "frost". I wasn't too worried about the bubbles. I still think had I used the water method it would have gone on easier. I am pleased with how it turned out anyway.



                                                I added a string of lights to the back. I used little metal hooks that were screwed onto the frame to keep the lights in place. I also added some cut dowel rods to hold the frame in place so it won't fall over in my fireplace.



                                         Again, I had to take pictures after it was already in the opening. Oops. I do that a lot. Do you ever forget to take a picture until you need it and then have to "make do" with the best you can get? I really need to work on that! So one more shot of the finished product.
 
 
                                          That's it. I hope you find this helpful. I think it turned out better than I thought it would.  Happy about that. If you have any questions or comments feel free to put them in the comment section. Thanks. Have a sweet day.




No comments:

Post a Comment