Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pumpkin Jar Cakes...Cupcakes in a jar



I finally made some jar cakes or cupcakes in a jar. I just love the idea of individual versions of desserts. I think jar cupcakes are sooo cute. I have plans for some jar pies and jar cheesecakes too. These turned out way better than I imagined they would. You can use just about any cake recipe you want to, but with it being fall and all I had to go with something pumpkin.   Here's my recipe:

1 box of Spice cake mix  ( I used Duncan Hines )
1 box of instant pumpkin spice pudding
1 can 100% pumpkin ( I used Libby's )
2 eggs
1/3 C of oil ( veg. oil )

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together well. Fill jars 1/3 full. Too full and not enough room for icing. Bake for about 24 minutes. I only had 12 jars to use so I had extra batter that I mixed with oatmeal and made cookies. ( Baked 350 for about 12 minutes). The cookies were not as good as the cakes. I need more jars!

I made my own maple icing for the cakes.

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon maple flavoring


Add sugar and butter to mixing bowl and mix for about 5 minutes then add maple flavoring , mix another minute then it's done. I would recommend doubling the ingredients for more icing. Lots of icing is always good.




If you fill the jars too full with batter you might not have enough room for icing. Although they would still be good, everything is better with icing! I think they turned out pretty cute. Not to mention yummy. These would make really cute little gifts for teachers, neighbors, or family.


Mine could have used a little more icing.  Try some and let me know how yours turn out.
Have a sweet day!

No comments:

Post a Comment